Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Blinking

This precious one is my youngest son and baby, John Michael. He will be 10 next month--just typing that makes me feel a bit ill. I wish he was still two or three!!

In April 2000 I had shut the door on one part of my life and was literally flailing. It was like free falling without a parachute. The last week of April is Fiesta here in San Antonio and although I had lived here for three years I had never taken part in any of it. I partied like a rock star. John Michael was born January 30, 2001--do the math.

John John (I've called him this since he was a baby and he has told me recently he would prefer I didn't--sniff sniff) is funny, smart, sensitive & quirky. I think God knew these were all things I needed in my old age. :) He is most content at home with his legos, play station, and "stuff".

Today when I picked him up from his Dad I took him with me to Beau's basketball game. John loves to watch but I knew he wouldn't be thrilled with this detour to home. When we pulled up to the gym he could hear the game had already started and we speculated that maybe it was 1/2 over. We got in and sat down and the first thing John noticed was that it was the first period of the game.

This started the blinking. When John John is about to be very sad and cry he starts blinking like Snufflupagus. After I assured him that the game would be over in no time he was ok. Once it was over we went back to Beau's school to pick him up (he had to ride the bus back with the team). We beat them back and when we parked, more blinking ensued.

He managed to squeeze out two or three tears and then the bus showed up. Thank goodness! John gives me a hug and says, "Mommy, I just wanted to go home!" When Beau finally got in the van he announced he needed a soda--hence more blinking.

Hallelujah we finally made it home @ 7:20 pm. John Michael immediately shucked his pants and shirt and then set up shop next too his big container of legos. When he came to tell me goodnight just a bit ago he said he wanted me to know he just really missed me today. Now I'm the one blinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment